Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the gmat: a rant

It just took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to write a new post, so I guess it's no surprise that I scored HORRIBLY on the GMAT this morning.

Oh, what's the GMAT you ask? It's the worst test in existence, and you have to take it in order to get your MBA. Think of the SAT, if it were on steroids and wanted to crush you into tiny little pieces.

First of all, if you happen to be wanting to take the GMAT in the not so distant future, I highly recommend you study. And by study, I literally mean buying a study guide, and spend (at a minimum) two hours a day for a month before taking this test.

How long did I study for? Oh about three days. This test happens to be full of math you learned in high school, maybe college if you didn't test out of it like I did. I'm talking integers, prime numbers, fractions, percentages, triangles, angles, lines, all sorts of stupid bullshit that I would have aced about, oh you know, eight years ago. AND you don't get a calculator.

Ok, raise your hand if you use any of these things in your average day? And who doesn't use a calculator? And actually, I've moved way past your average calculator and use excel for most of my math every single day. Are there employers out there giving prospective employees tests with fractions and solving for x and y to the 3rd power? Seriously, if there are, I would like to know so I feel a little bit better about bombing this test.

No comments:

Post a Comment